Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What is an essay anyway?

So I went to dictionary.com and looked up the definition for essay. This is what was there:

Essay: (n) a short literary composition on a particular theme or subject, usually in prose and generally analytic, speculative, or interpretative; (v) an effort to perform or accomplish something; attempt.

OK, so an essay is a paper you would write that talks about one subject and you can organize your opinion and research in the way you see is best. I honestly never knew that there was a verb meaning for the word essay. But when you think about what work goes in to writing an essay it makes sense (but I don't think I would ever use the verb form when I speak).

I don't entirely enjoy writing essays for classes because they usually are on a topic that is not fun to write about, like if the United States should keep the penny or not. I enjoy doing free write essays where I can pick my own topic because I feel like I can be more creative and form my opinion about the topic better.

3 comments:

  1. I actually enjoy writing essays for school because prompts that I can't really relate to or I no interest in challenge the different perspectives my mind can take on and analyze throught. The art of b.sing comes in handy but college essay really should be about what you actually like. And should America keep the penny? yes. god yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you doing any real "essaying" in those school essays that you didn't like, though? Probably not -- and that's probably why they seem like no fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What, you wouldn't want to try using essay as a verb? It sounds like it could make conversations more interesting.

    ReplyDelete